Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Winter blahs?

Well, I haven't had them! We've had days of 70 degrees this winter and I've been able to ride at least twice a week. It finally snowed last Wednesday, but it melted by Friday. It's snowing now again, but I'm confident that it will be gone soon enough. I'm glad for it too...who likes dealing with all the snow and ice? The mountains, however have been utterly blanketed with snow this year. Steamboat Springs reports that the champagne powder is "epic". Vail has had record crowds. Denver Int'l Airport is setting records for the number of travelers moving through. That means that spring will be green on the plains! The reservoirs are predicted to overflow for the first time since the late '90s when the state officially went into drought. For a while, things are getting back to normal around here. But I suppose that's only true in our microcosm of the world - in Seattle they've had record rains. California, too. Wildfires in Texas and Oklahoma in January! The NE is saturated. Killer hurricanes, increased glacial melt in places like Alaska and Mt. Kilimanjaro in Africa where they predict there will be no more glacial ice in ten years at 19,340'! Read more about that here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilimanjaro.

I feel like I'm outside the storm, but the evidence is there that things are heating up. And I'm not sure that people really mind. Still, it can't be good in the long run. For now, I'll be content with my 70 degree days in February and maybe I'll start driving less. Maybe it would be a good time to begin recycling - $35/lb for aluminum. If only bikes were that cheap! I figure my aluminum bike is about $700/lb! I'd better start recycling to help bring down the cost of Al for my OWN good!

No comments:

Popular Posts